    SubjectRe: Continuing /dev/random problems with 2.4
    Peter Monta wrote:

    >>The point with the tests that have been mentioned is to derive such a
    >>conservative estimate, and to raise a red flag if the output suddenly
    >>becomes predictable.
    > Ah, I see; I was misled by the "truly random" remark, sorry. So a reasonable
    > sanity test for a block of audio samples might be a standard deviation
    > greater than a few LSB; this will catch constant or close-to-constant
    > output.

    However, those aren't the main failure modes you need to be concerned
    with. Antenna effects may actually be your biggest problem -- picking
    up deterministic signals from other parts of the system.

    However, I believe this is a solved problem. It would definitely be
    interesting taking rngd and figuring out a way to drive it from /dev/dsp
    -- probably not too difficult a modification.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.021 / U:22.444 seconds]