    SubjectRe: Continuing /dev/random problems with 2.4
    On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:40:35AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    [...]
    | > Exhausting entropy to zero under high use is not uncommon (that is a
    | > motivation for my netdev-random patch). What boggles me is why it does
    | > not regenerate?
    [...]
    | Anything that is meant to be a server really pretty much needs an
    | enthropy generator these days. We really should push vendors to
    | provide it (together with serial console firmware and other "well,
    | duh" things rackmount servers should have as a matter of course.)

    Yes, in fact we do have entropy generators in some cases, especially on
    Solaris. I think this is a very good idea -- it would be extremely nice
    to see this especially since SO much more is dependent upon entropy
    these days. More than about 7 years ago I would have thought entropy
    was a nethack clone.

    Of course, in my case deleting the /dev/random character node still
    doesn't allow entropy to drain in (after at least a month) so I suspect
    the kernel's entropy generation would be sufficient if it didn't
    artificially stall or drain from within the kernel.

    Thanks much,
    --
    Ken.
    brownfld@irridia.com