SubjectRe: Machines misreporting Bogomips
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Greg Boyce <> said:
> [...]
> > Every once in a while we come across single machines which are running a
> > lot slower than they should be, and are misreporting their speed in
> > bogomips under /proc/cpuinfo. Reinstalling the OS and changing versions
> > of the kernel don't appear to affect the machines themselves at all.
> Just misrepresented bogomips or is the machine really slower? Perhaps the
> CPU is being underclocked?
> --
> Horst von Brand # 22616

The machine is actually slower. That's how I noticed the problem.

Underclocking dosen't seem likely due to the difference in speed. It's 4
bogomips instead of 500. The machine is running at about the speed of a
386 (I believe that's about right). It almost seems as if someone turned
off the turbo button. But of course I haven't seen one of those since my
old 486 :)

Greg Boyce