    SubjectRe: Machines misreporting Bogomips
    On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > Greg Boyce <gboyce@rakis.net> said:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > Every once in a while we come across single machines which are running a
    > > lot slower than they should be, and are misreporting their speed in
    > > bogomips under /proc/cpuinfo. Reinstalling the OS and changing versions
    > > of the kernel don't appear to affect the machines themselves at all.
    >
    > Just misrepresented bogomips or is the machine really slower? Perhaps the
    > CPU is being underclocked?
    > --
    > Horst von Brand http://counter.li.org # 22616

    The machine is actually slower. That's how I noticed the problem.

    Underclocking dosen't seem likely due to the difference in speed. It's 4
    bogomips instead of 500. The machine is running at about the speed of a
    386 (I believe that's about right). It almost seems as if someone turned
    off the turbo button. But of course I haven't seen one of those since my
    old 486 :)

    --
    Greg Boyce