SubjectRe: autofs4 problem
Hi,

i posted the stuff below several weeks ago. Now we observed
a phenomenon related to system time. So a basic question:
Could it be, autofs4 gets screwed up, when an ntpd modifies
the system time without slew i.e. as a step wider than
several seconds ?

Thanks in advance, please respond to Albert.Fluegel.GP@mchr2.siemens.de

Albert

Fluegel Albert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have a really severe autofs4 problem. Kernel is 2.4.7,
> Redhat-7.0, Hardware is a Fujitsu/Siemens HPC Line dual
> Processor, so kernel is built with SMP turned on. automounter
> Daemon is 4.0.0pre10 . gcc is 2.96:
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-85)
> RAM is 2 GB, CPU: Pentium III (Coppermine), 256 kb Cache,
> Boot disk is an IDE disk, a SCSI Symbios 53c1010 hostadapter and
> a connected additional disk is installed, but not used, the
> SCSI-adapter driver isn't loaded. IDE controller is
> ServerWorks OSB4.
>
> I'm desperately trying to find the reason for my quite
> reproducible problem (it's not the locking thing in the kernel
> that has been fixed since quite a while)
>
> Assume an map like that:
>
> kaefer -rw /tmp2 kaefer:/tmp2
> gustav -rw /tmp2 gustav:/tmp2
> distel -rw /tmp2 distel:/tmp2
> averna -rw /tmp2 averna:/tmp2
> solp1 -rw /tmp2 solp1:/tmp2
> host-1 -rw /tmp2 host-1:/tmp2
> host-2 -rw /tmp2 host-2:/tmp2
>
> i.e. all of those hosts have a /tmp2 directory, that is exported
> properly. Automounter Daemon runs with the following args:
>
> automount -t 1 /mnt/my-subdir yp map-name grpid,hard,nodevs,nosymlink
>
> (or with file instead yp, makes no difference)
>
> Basically we don't want a timeout, which is that short. But it
> helps to reproduce the problem within minutes. Otherwise it
> shows up after some hours, what is not acceptable for users
> with long-running compute jobs. The software accesses the
> /tmp2 directories and home-direcotries (also autofs-Mounted)
> from time to time and once within a few hours the users see
> either a "Permission denied" or "Directory does not exist".
> And this happens with that stress test, too. Assume the following
> script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # build a list of files to touch within one command
> I=1
> while [ $I -le 32 ] ; do
> FILES="$FILES /mnt/my-subdir/host-$I/tmp2/affile"
> I=`expr $I + 1`
> done
>
> while true ; do
> echo 'trying to touch and ls'
> touch $FILES
> if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
> exit 1
> fi
> ls -ld $FILES
>
> date
>
> /bin/rm -f /tmp/bla
> head -4c /dev/random > /tmp/bla
> RANDNUM=`sum /tmp/bla | awk '{print $1}'`
> WAITTIME=`expr '(' $RANDNUM ')' / 2 + 980000`
>
> # random sleep time between 980 ms and ~ 1020 with script
> # interpretatin ... delay - neglible
>
> ls -ld $FILES>/dev/null
> usleep $WAITTIME
> done
>
> What i try to achieve with that random delay is, that
> during expire of the 32 mounts another access to them
> [...]

Technical Project Leader TDSC