    SubjectRe: hidden interface (ARP) 2.4.20
    On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 05:03:36PM +0100, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
    > > Not with a HW LB, and with a SW LB (LVS-NAT) you can very well sustain
    > > 20000 NAT'd load balanced connections with 5 minutes of stickyness
    > > (persistency) with 1GB RAM and a PIII Tualatin with 512 kb L2 cache. I'm
    > > not sure if you meant this when mentioning pain.
    >
    > I guess he probably meant a _bit_ more. I may add some zeros to your 20000 to
    > give you a glimpse of a _standard_ load we are talking about. And you can
    > easily do this with the hardware you mentioned _not_ using NAT (of course ;-).

    You're right, we have been discussing this privately and agreed we were both
    talking about higher numbers ; Robert seems to have a good experience of very
    high traffic ;-)

    > I guess it would really be a great help if someone did tests like Cons'
    > "overall performance" ones for network performance explicitly. Like e.g.
    > performance for various packet-sizes of all available protocol types, possibly
    > including NAT connections. We have no comparable figures at hand right now, I
    > guess.

    Why not ?
    I've often been doing this to check the reliability of the network layer of
    kernels that I distribute. I often use Tux for this, because it can easily
    sustain 10k hits/s during months. But Tux is not in mainstream kernel, we have
    to use other tools. Since I'm working on a task scheduler, I may soon have the
    base to rewrite my injecter and a fake server to do these tests on mainstream
    kernels. I think that several tools already exist for this. You can take a look
    at the C10K project to find links. I don't have the URL in mind, google is your
    friend.

    Cheers,
    Willy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:34.780 seconds]