    SubjectRe: is KERNEL developement finished, yet ???
    torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)  wrote on 05.12.02 in <aso4kq$2ka$1@penguin.transmeta.com>:

    > In article <000901c29c5d$6d194760$2e833841@joe>,
    > Joseph D. Wagner <wagnerjd@prodigy.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >Unix (and Linux) developers are far too concerned with clinging to the
    > >30-year-old outdated POSIX standard, which creates numerous problems when
    > >trying to advance new features.
    >
    > No.
    >
    > Only stupid people think they should throw away old proven concepts.
    > What happens quite often in academia in particular is that you find a
    > problem you want to fix, and you re-design the whole system around your
    > fix.

    Well, yes and no.

    Yes, it's usually a bad idea to do that and expect to get a production-
    level kernel out of it.

    But on the other hand, there's a lot that *could* be done with OS kernels
    that has never been tried (even though I certainly couldn't give a list).
    Until someone implements one of those ideas, and experiments with the
    results for a while, it's impossible to know what it would be worth in
    practice. (I certainly wouldn't want to trust a theoretical evaluation!)

    Then, *if* it looks good in an experimental OS, people still need to
    figure out how to make use of it in a more traditional kernel. Sometimes
    that's where it breaks. Sometimes not.

    If you just remember that academic OSes are *research*, not production
    material, then they are fine. Unfortunately, too many people (including
    many academics) forget that.

    There's a reason we have both science and engineering, and they're not the
    same discipline.

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:7.251 / U:0.276 seconds]