    SubjectRe: is KERNEL developement finished, yet ???
    Shane Helms writes:
    > But, if you're implying that we can start once again from bottom, and come up
    > with something better that unix (which has been opensource, around for long
    > while, tested and developed by many as well) I _HIGHLY_ doubt, and disagree.
    > I doubt there be any such errors (mistakes) if ANY. but then, i'm not a kernel
    > developer, and new to this whole mailing list !!

    Signal delivery on the current stack as opposed to a process-global
    or per-signal sigaltstack is broken as hell. It messes up user-space
    code that uses customised stack management methods.

    sigaction() with SA_ONSTACK is unreliable because in reality applications
    have linked-in libraries, and those libraries have no standard way of
    knowing whether the main application wants SA_ONSTACK or not.

    LD_PRELOAD:ing your own sigaction() is also unreliable, because C libs
    tend to have internal calls that bypass the external name and go directly
    to the internal __libc_sigaction() or whatever it happens to be called.

    /Mikael

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.044 / U:88.968 seconds]