    SubjectKernel: question/bug: mm/vmscan.c : refill_inactive_zone() : 2.4.18-3

    In a "while" loop we are looking for a target number of
    pages to deactivate.

    If there are a large number of processes that have not
    exceeded their Resident Set Size (rss) and they are
    keeping their pages hot, then we won't reach our target
    value. This would keep our inactive page list small.

    Suggestion and solution:
    In this environment, I would think it would make sense
    to effectively walk this list again (without aging)
    and effectively half the rss so we are able to reach
    our target value.

    I would think that this approach would then penalize
    all tasks equally. If halving the rss is too extreme,
    then an increased percentage (< 100%) would walk more
    pages to reach the target value.

    Mitchell Erblich :
    Note: I am not currently on this mail alias.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.029 / U:16.928 seconds]