    SubjectRe: [2.5.50, ACPI] link error

    > > > Doesn't that imply your fix is broken to begin with?
    > >
    > > ACPI/S4 support needs swsusp. ACPI/S3 needs big part of
    > > swsusp. Splitting CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP to S3 and S4 part seems like
    > > overdesign to me, OTOH if you do the work it is okay with me.
    > You broke the design. S3 support was developed long before swsusp was in
    > the kernel, and completely indpendent of it. It should have remained that
    > way.
    > S3 support is a subset of what is need for S4 support.

    That's not true. acpi_wakeup.S is nasty piece of code, needed for S3
    but not for S4. Big part of driver support is only needed for S3.

    > swsusp is an implementation of S4 support. In theory, there could be
    > multiple implementations that all use the same core (saving/restoring
    > state).

    There were patches for S4bios floating around, but it never really
    worked, IIRC.

    > There could also be different power management schemes that use swsusp as
    > an implementation for suspend-to-disk. But, that's another tangent.
    > CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP should give you S3 support, and the ACPI side of S4
    > support.

    What's ACPI side of S4 good for when you can not do S4?

    > The comment in the config option should tell the user that they
    > must choose a suspend implementation (e.g. CONFIG_SUSPEND, which should
    > prolly be CONFIG_SWAP_SUSPEND) in order to get complete S4 support. (The
    > ACPI side can make an empty call to swsusp if no implementation is
    > selected).

    S3 needs process stopper from kernel/suspend.c. I did not want to have
    #ifdefs all over suspend.c...

    > Some time ago, I made a BK repo for suspend support. I axed it, since no
    > one ever used it. But, it's back again, and I'll be integrating your
    > patches and try to dedicate a few extra cycles to resolving some of the
    > issues. I'll send an announcement to the list once I've integrated your
    > patches.

    I probably will not persuade you to make it CVS, right? [Sorry, I'm
    not going to touch bitkeeper.]
    Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
    cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.058 / U:33.664 seconds]