    Subject[OT] ipv4: how to choose src ip?

    I apologize for a vigorously off-topic post; Google groups just ain't
    helping me this time.

    Suppose I have two IP addresses from the same subnet on the same
    interface, and this interface also happens to be what my default
    gateway is on, like so:

    /sbin/ifconfig eth1 netmask \
    /sbin/ifconfig eth1:0 netmask \
    /sbin/route add default gw

    The question is, how does the IP stack decide what source IP address
    it should use when there's a packet to be sent on the given subnet or
    via the defaultgw? Is there any way to actually choose the source IP
    address manually (say, per outgoing connection)?

    I'm not interested in rewriting the source address with netfilter based
    on destination and/or service; What I'm looking for is rather a way to
    initiate two connections to the same destination host using the two
    different source IP addresses.

    Tomas Szepe <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.019 / U:4.812 seconds]