    SubjectRe: is KERNEL developement finished, yet ???
    In article <000901c29c5d$6d194760$2e833841@joe>,
    Joseph D. Wagner <> wrote:
    >Unix (and Linux) developers are far too concerned with clinging to the
    >30-year-old outdated POSIX standard, which creates numerous problems when
    >trying to advance new features.

    Only stupid people think they should throw away old proven concepts.
    What happens quite often in academia in particular is that you find a
    problem you want to fix, and you re-design the whole system around your

    This is how we get crap like microkernels. They have "an agenda", and
    that's the _worst_ thing you can have when designing software. You
    fixate on some perceived problem, and the end result is that yes, maybe
    you fixed _that_ problem, but in the meantime you also generated a whole
    new of issues - usually things that were solved by the original

    The UNIX/Linux approach is a very pragmatic thing - leave the things
    that work well alone. There's no point in re-inventing the whole system
    just because of some small perceived flaws.

    >This is not a design flaw per say, but let's face it: Unix would be a lot
    >more secure (and more flexible in it's security) with ACL's.
    >Microsoft Windows has had ACL's since 1991 (Windows NT 3.5?); that was 11
    >years ago.

    Yeah, and look how much more secure it is than UNIX.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.027 / U:38.996 seconds]