    Subject3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado problems (no network sometimes)
    Date
    Hi all,

    for about a year and a half i have problems with network cards 3Com PCI
    3c905C Tornado
    here is the description of the problem:

    I have the following hardware:

    MB EliteGroup P6ISAII with chipset Intel815
    LAN CARD 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado
    CPU Intel PIII 733 and 933
    Sound Embeded
    Video Intel815 Embeded

    Log entries while loading driver 3c90x are:

    Dec 19 16:03:35 oboroten kernel: 3c59x: Donald Becker and others.
    www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
    Dec 19 16:03:35 oboroten kernel: 01:03.0: at 0xc000. Vers LK1.1.18-ac

    The tower is ATX. when i shut down the computer from the button and after
    start it the led which shows that nic is connected to 100Mb mode (I have
    leds for 10Mb, 100Mb,ACT) start blinking each second the same do and the led
    on the switch (the switch is 3COM office connect DualSpeedSwitch 16).
    and when linux boots i have no network at all. I have attached logs for
    notworking and working situation.
    In order to fix the problem i must unplug the power cord(there is no other
    way to copletely stop powering the computer) wait a few seconds plug it
    again and start the computer from the button and check to see if the led is
    blinking if yes reapeat this action as much times as is necessary for the
    led to stop blinking. The interesting part is that if the NIC is blinking
    and i load windows the things are working just fine i think that windows
    driver has some initialisation (the led stops blinking) which the linux
    driver does not have but these are just suppositions.
    Notice that i have some lines in the messages log "working situation" which
    looks like this:

    Dec 30 12:52:01 oboroten kernel: eth0: vortex_error(), status=0xe081

    this appears when i execute the following command:

    ping -f some.host

    i have running 4 machines with the same HW configuration and the problem is
    reproducable on all of them. I have noticed this problem since kernel 2.4.2
    and it is here by now.
    on the machine that i use for testing these things i have kernel:
    Linux xxxx.xxxxx.xxxxx 2.4.18-19.8.0 #1 Thu Dec 12 05:39:29 EST 2002 i686
    i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    but I have and machines with 2.4.19 which has the same problem.
    I have this problem often when we have power failure and my boss is not very
    happy the servers to be down when i am not in the office after power
    failure.
    I have executed and the diagnostic programs mii-diag and vortex-diag their
    logs are attached to the mail too.

    Best Regards,

    Deian Chepishev
    [unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.029 / U:31.672 seconds]