    Van: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
    [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org]Namens Stephen Satchell
    Verzonden: zaterdag 28 december 2002 16:40
    Aan: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Onderwerp: Want a random entropy source?

    Not too long ago I had made a submission on SlashDot on something-or-other
    (oh, right, "Rube-Goldberg Type Random Number Generators?"
    http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/26/1751228&tid=137) and I
    stumbled across my submission to that article. After thinking about it, I
    though it might be a reasonable thing to submit to this list as a possible
    enhancement to the /dev/random driver if someone wants to try it. My
    submission was thus:

    "I've been vexed that the sound card plus CD-ROM drive combination always
    shows signal at around -50 dBVU in CoolEdit. So, just for grins, I decided
    to capture a few seconds of the noise and analyze the properties. I was
    astonished to see that the resulting signal is a white-noise pattern with a
    slight emphasis at the high end (when sampled at 44 kilosamples per
    second). In short, it looks like diode noise with a 4 kilohertz square wave
    thrown in.

    "That suggests to me that this would make a fair source of random samples,
    especially after you slot out the interfering signal.

    "How many computers don't have cheap sound cards and CD-ROM drives?"

    For what it's worth...

    Satch

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.029 / U:208.580 seconds]