    SubjectRe: CPU failures ... or something else ?
    Date
    try turning off the Machine Check Exception in the kernel as it is just buggy
    on some machines, not necessarily a bug in the kernel, or without
    recompiling, use the kernel param "nomce"

    On Wednesday 25 December 2002 19:53, Josh Brooks wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a dual p3 866 running 2.4 kernel that is crashing once every few
    > days leaving this on the console:
    >

    > Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Dec 24 11:30:31 2002 ...
    > localhost kernel: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
    >
    > Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Dec 24 11:30:32 2002 ...
    > localhost kernel: Bank 4: b200000000040151
    >
    > Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Dec 24 11:30:32 2002 ...
    > localhost kernel: Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt
    >

    > Word on the street is that this indicates hardware failure of some kind
    > (cpu, bus, or memory). My main question is, is that very surely the
    > culprit, or is it also possible that all of the hardware is perfect and
    > that a bug in the kernel code or some outside influence (remote exploit)
    > is causing this crash ?
    >
    > Basically, I am ordering all new hardware to swap out, and I just want to
    > know if there is some remote possibility that my hardware is actually just
    > fine and this is some kind of software error ?
    >
    > ALSO, I have not been physically at the console when this has happened,
    > and have not tried this yet, but whatever that thing is where you press
    > ctrl-alt-printscreen and get to enter those post-crash commands - do you
    > think that would work in this situation, or does the above error hard lock
    > the system so you can't do those emergency measures ?
    >
    > thanks!
    >

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:90.304 seconds]