    SubjectRe: [BENCHMARK] scheduler tunables with contest - prio_bonus_ratio
    Date
    On Thursday 19 December 2002 05:41 pm, Robert Love wrote:
    > On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 18:18, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > That is too often not the case.
    >
    > I knew you would say that!
    >
    > > I can get the desktop machine working about as comfortably
    > > as 2.4.19 with:
    > >
    > > # echo 10 > max_timeslice
    > > # echo 0 > prio_bonus_ratio
    > >
    > > ie: disabling all the fancy new scheduler features :(
    > >
    > > Dropping max_timeslice fixes the enormous stalls which happen
    > > when an interactive process gets incorrectly identified as a
    > > cpu hog. (OK, that's expected)

    My experiences to add to the pot...I started by booting 2.5.52-mm2 and
    launching KDE3. I have a dual AMD MP2000+, 1GB RAM, with most of the
    data used below on striped/RAID0 ATA/133 drives. Taking Andrew's
    advice, I created a continuous load with:

    while [ 1 ]; do ( make -j4 clean; make -j4 bzImage ); done

    ...in a kernel tree, then sat down for a leisurely email and web
    cruising session. After about fifteen minutes, it became apparent I
    wasn't suffering any interactive slowdown. So I increased the load:

    while [ 1 ]; do ( make -j8 clean; make -j8 bzImage ); done
    while [ 1 ]; do ( cp dump1 dump2; rm dump2; sync ); done

    ...where file "dump1" is 100MB. Now we're seeing some impact :)

    To combat this I tried:

    echo 3000 > starvation_limit
    echo 4 > interactive_delta
    echo 200 max_timeslice
    echo 20 min_timeslice

    This works pretty well. The "spinning envelope" on the email monitor
    of gkrellm actually corresponds quite nicely with the actual feel of
    my system, so after awhile, I just sat back and observed it. Both the
    tactile response and the gkrellm obervations show this: it's common
    to experience maybe a .1--.3 second lag every 2 or 3 seconds with
    this load, with maybe the odd .5 second lag occurring once or twice a
    minute. Watching the compile job in the background scroll by, I
    noticed that there are times when it comes to a dead stop. The next
    step, I guess, needs to be a ConTest with the final settings...

    child_penalty: 95

    exit_weight: 3

    interactive_delta: 4

    max_sleep_avg: 2000

    max_timeslice: 300

    min_timeslice: 10

    parent_penalty: 100

    prio_bonus_ratio: 25

    starvation_limit: 3000
    ---scott

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.043 / U:92.308 seconds]