SubjectRe: Dedicated kernel bug database
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:19:03 -0800
> From: Hanna Linder <hannal@us.ibm.com>

> >> Why are bugs automatically assigned to owners?
> >> If there was an unassigned category that would make it
> >> easy to query.
> >
> > Query for "NEW" status for a component and do not put anything
> > into "owner" fireld.
>
> If there was a NEW field that would be exactly what I was
> asking for. When I do a query the only options I see are: OPEN,
> ASSIGNED, RESOLVED, APPROVED, REJECTED, DEFERRED, CLOSED.
> Where is the NEW? Is there somewhere else to do queries?

OK, I'm sorry. This is a little different from what we have at
bugizlla.redhat.com. I suspect OSDL's OPEN roughly corresponds
to NEW. They appear to use Bugzilla which closely resembles the
mother of all them at Mozilla.

> >> Also a list of people who arent maintainers but are available to help
> >> could be useful for the owners to assign bugs to.
> >
> > That's putting a cart in front of a horse. Such people have
> > to execute a simple Bugzilla to get lists, then select bugs
> > which they like. This way the overhead of maintaining such
> > lists disappears instantly.
>
> Im trying to help make it easier for such people to get a list
> of bugs to start working on. If it looks like everything already
> has an owner it looks like there is nothing to do. Im just trying
> to figure out how to use it and hopefully help other people
> do the same thing.

I see the point. I would say, having an owner does not mean
much. Owner is just a person who makes sure bugs do not get lost.
You can work on my bugs if you'd like :)

I understand now that I carry a whole load of misconceptions
caused by extensive use of a slighly different process at Red Hat.
Perhaps we ought to tap into Mozilla people expirience.

-- Pete

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.172 / U:1.352 seconds]