    SubjectRe: Dedicated kernel bug database
    >  > >It could warn the user if they attach an un-decoded oops that their
    > > >bug report isn't as useful as it could be, and if they mention a
    > > >distribution kernel version, that it's not a tree that the developers
    > > >will necessarily be familiar with
    > > Perhaps a more generalized hook into bugzilla for 'validating' a bug
    > > report, then code specific validators for kernel work?
    > Its a nice idea, but I think it's a lot of effort to get it right,
    > when a human can look at the dump, realise its not decoded, and
    > send a request back in hardly any time at all.

    Somebody still has to answer it - loads of mails to LKML go unanswered
    because people are spending their time coding instead of reading the
    list, (which is good).

    > I also don't trust things like this where if something goes wrong,
    > we could lose the bug report.

    How? I don't see as that is more likely than with Bugzilla. Anyway,
    loads of LKML posts get ignored, and nobody seems to worry about it :-).

    > People are also more likely to ping-pong ,argue or "how do I..."
    > with a human than they are with an automated robot.

    The idea is that the bug database does a sanity check on their bug
    report. It still gets entered in to the database, but it would return
    something like:

    You submitted a bug to the bug database. Please note the following:

    * You mentioned kernel version foobar. This appears to be a vendor
    kernel, not an official kernel tree. Your distribution maintainers
    might be more appropriate people to contact

    * You included an undecoded oops - this is probably useless. Please
    read the FAQ.

    Thanks for using the bug database. Your bug has been assigned to

    I don't see any way of making Bugzilla do all the things I described
    originally, specifically the advanced tracking of versions tested.
    That could help to find duplicates, which is a big problem when you
    have 1000+ bugs.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:2.572 seconds]