    > Not too sure what to make of it. It shows the interactivity estimator
    > does indeed help... but only if what you consider "important" is what is
    > considered "interactive" by the estimator. Andrew will say that is too
    > often not the case.

    That is too often not the case.

    I can get the desktop machine working about as comfortably
    as 2.4.19 with:

    # echo 10 > max_timeslice
    # echo 0 > prio_bonus_ratio

    ie: disabling all the fancy new scheduler features :(

    Dropping max_timeslice fixes the enormous stalls which happen
    when an interactive process gets incorrectly identified as a
    cpu hog. (OK, that's expected)

    But when switching virtual desktops some windows still take a
    large fraction of a second to redraw themselves. Disabling the
    interactivity estimator fixes that up too. (Not OK. That's bad)

    hm. It's actually quite nice. I'd be prepared to throw away
    a few cycles for this.

    I don't expect the interactivity/cpuhog estimator will ever work
    properly on the desktop, frankly. There will always be failure
    cases when a sudden swing in load causes it to make the wrong

    So it appears that to stem my stream of complaints we need to
    merge scheduler_tunables.patch and edit my /etc/rc.local.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.026 / U:12.316 seconds]