SubjectRe: 2.4.19, don't "hdparm -I /dev/hde" if hde is on a Asus A7V133 Promise ctrlr, or...
On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Tomas Szepe wrote:

> > > Clearly Promise is the one storage vendor whose products are best avoided.
> >
> > I would not say this is the case. What is going on is people are wanting
> > to migrate to more of an internal hidden operation.
> >
> > Think about it from their side.
> > They want to make it easier to program the card.
>
> The result of their attempts has seemed to be the exact opposite
> so far, so I'd say they're either hiding a bit too much or the
> hardware doesn't cut it.
>
> Anyway, what are the chances of the 2.4.21-pre PDC driver getting
> fixed up so it works like it did in 2.4.18?

Well, there is an issue.
I have a consulting contract with Promise outstanding.
It is on my desk, but there is on issue I refuse to agree to period.

Nobody in the right mind agrees to disclose their entire IP portfolio, as
a contractor or consultant. This allow the client to box you into a
corner so tight, that anything in the future they can claim as their own
and tie it back to an contract collecting dust.

> > Linux is an OS that like to know what is going on all the time,
> > and the two clash.
>
> Are you suggesting something to the point of Windows not having
> to cope with the same issues? There has to be some kind of fundamental
> difference given Promise themselves successfully hosed the Linux driver
> the instant they touched it, while the Windows one just works. :)

So I am not fixing anything until this issue is resolved.
They pay for what you clearly have stated above.

As for the Windows issue, the scsi-mini-port is a whole differenct beast.
Everyone jokes and laughs at my quote:
"The world of Storage is nothing but a BIG LIE"

SCSI is a run,poke,sense,verify,transform world.
ATA is a run,check,return world.

That being said, as far as I can tell, the WDDK for mini-port only cares
about the state returned. So if you do not like the state your hardware
is in, you boost the return and hook a TDI callback or poll check.
It is obvious the OEM Windows driver has unlimited power to fake the
response.

At this point I expect any contract is dead, so use 2.4.18.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:1.123 / U:0.260 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and my Meterkast|Read the blog