    SubjectRe: Intel P6 vs P7 system call performance
    On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Hugh Dickins wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > Ok, I did the vsyscall page too, and tried to make it do the right thing
    > > (but I didn't bother to test it on a non-SEP machine).
    > >
    > > I'm pushing the changes out right now, but basically it boils down to the
    > > fact that with these changes, user space can instead of doing an
    > >
    > > int $0x80
    > >
    > > instruction for a system call just do a
    > >
    > > call 0xfffff000

    So you are going to do a system-call off a trap instead of an interrupt.
    The difference in performance should be practically nothing. There is
    also going to be additional overhead in returning from the trap since
    the IP and caller's segment was not saved by the initial trap. I don't
    see how you can possibly claim any improvement in performance. Further,
    it doesn't make any sense. We don't call physical addresses from a
    virtual address anyway, so there will be additional translation that
    must take some time. With the current page-table translation you
    would need to put your system-call entry point at 0xfffff000 - 0xc0000000
    = 0x3ffff000 and there might not even be any RAM there. This guarantees
    that you are going to have to set up a special PTE, resulting in
    additional overhead.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.021 / U:59.620 seconds]