    SubjectRe: R: Kernel bug handling TCP_RTO_MAX?
    On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 10:07:01AM -0800, Nivedita Singhvi wrote:
    > Andrew McGregor wrote:
    > > In a closed network, why not have SOCK_STREAM map to something faster than
    > > TCP anyway? That is, if I connect(address matching localnet), SOCK_STREAM
    > > maps to (eg) SCTP. That would be a far more dramatic performance hack!
    > >
    > > Andrew
    > Not that simple. SCTP (if that is what Matti was referring to) is
    > a SOCK_STREAM socket, with a protocol of IPPROTO_SCTP. I'm just
    > getting done implementing a testsuite against the SCTP API.

    Most likely that is what I did mean.
    Things in IETF do on occasion change names, or I don't always
    remember all characters in (E)TLA-acronyms I use rarely...

    > But dont expect SCTP to be the surreptitious underlying layer
    > carrying TCP traffic, if thats an expectation that anyone has :)

    At least I didn't expect that, don't know of others.

    It all depends on application coders, if users will be able
    to use arbitrary network protocols -- say any SOCK_STREAM
    protocol supported now, and in future by system kernel.
    Ever heard of "TLI" ?

    > Solving this problem without application involvement is a
    > more limited scenario..

    Yes, but sufficiently important to occasionally.

    Doing things like this mapping might make limited sense
    via routing table lookups.

    > thanks,
    > Nivedita

    /Matti Aarnio

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.041 / U:8.052 seconds]