    SubjectRe: R: Kernel bug handling TCP_RTO_MAX?

    --On Friday, December 13, 2002 10:07:01 -0800 Nivedita Singhvi
    <niv@us.ibm.com> wrote:

    > Andrew McGregor wrote:
    >
    >> In a closed network, why not have SOCK_STREAM map to something faster
    >> than TCP anyway? That is, if I connect(address matching localnet),
    >> SOCK_STREAM maps to (eg) SCTP. That would be a far more dramatic
    >> performance hack!
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >
    > Not that simple. SCTP (if that is what Matti was referring to) is
    > a SOCK_STREAM socket, with a protocol of IPPROTO_SCTP. I'm just
    > getting done implementing a testsuite against the SCTP API.
    >
    > i.e. You have to know you want an SCTP socket at the time you
    > open the socket. You certainly have no idea whether youre on
    > a closed network or not, for that matter, the app may want to talk
    > on multiple interfaces etc. (Most hosts will have one interface
    > on a public net)..

    Things are never that simple. But I was basically talking about a local
    policy to change the (semantics of the) API in certain cases. It's
    probably a bad idea and would cause all kinds of breakage, but it is
    interesting to think about.

    > Currently, Linux SCTP doesn't yet support TCP style i.e SOCK_STREAM
    > sockets, we only do udp-style sockets (SOCK_SEQPACKET). We will be
    > putting in SOCK_STREAM support next, but understand that performance
    > is not something that has been addressed yet, and a performant SCTP
    > is still some ways away (though I'm sure Jon and Sridhar will be
    > working their tails off to do so ;)).

    I wasn't aware of the current status. Ok, that's just where it's at.

    > But dont expect SCTP to be the surreptitious underlying layer
    > carrying TCP traffic, if thats an expectation that anyone has :)

    That's my particular kind of crazy idea.

    > Solving this problem without application involvement is a
    > more limited scenario..

    Indeed.

    > thanks,
    > Nivedita

    Andrew

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.024 / U:0.128 seconds]