    SubjectRe: Linux 2.5.51
    On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 10:25, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > > Well, I'm not sure it quite works yet. Maybe unaccelerated, but anyway,
    > > my version of radeonfb for 2.5 isn't accelerated yet anyway. I'll work
    > > on that (or Ani will) now that the API is stable enough.
    >
    > How well does this driver work if you don't have a firmware
    > driver initialize the card? aka a pci option ROM.

    Probably not at all

    > I am interested because with LinuxBIOS it is still a pain to run
    > PCI option roms, and I don't necessarily even have then if it a
    > motherboard with video. There are some embedded/non-x86 platforms
    > with similar issues.

    Well, at least r128's and radeon's need the memory controller and PLLs
    initialized by the BIOS/firmware, we don't have documentation about how
    to acheive that ourselves (and this can depend on the specific wiring of
    a given card anyway).

    > My primary interest is in the cheap ATI Rage XL chip that is on many
    > server board. PCI Vendor/device id 1002:4752 (rev 27) from lspci.
    >
    > If nothing else if some one could point me to some resources on
    > how to get the appropriate documentation from the video chipset
    > manufacturers I would be happy.
    >
    > But I did want to at least point that running a system with out bios
    > initialized video was certainly among the cases that are used.

    This is not possible with most modern cards without specific POST code
    provided by the chip manufacturer.

    Ben.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.023 / U:0.524 seconds]