    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.21-pre1
    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

    > So here goes the first pre of 2.4.21 including the new IDE code merged
    > from Alan's tree.
    > Test it carefully, since the new IDE code is not yet fully tested.
    > Do not use it with critical data.

    Oh, speaking of "carefully", could Andrew Morton's mount -o dirsync
    feature patch for 2.4.21 please be merged early in v2.4.21-pre? User
    space (util-linux, e2fsprogs' lsattr/chattr) has been supporting it for
    a while, just the kernel lacked it.

    This -o dirsync feature is necessary to give applications that are
    either unaware of Linux' default -o async or that do not want to cater
    for deliberate incompatibilities a big performance boost: these
    applications (Postfix on ext2fs but not on 2.4 ext3fs or reiserfs, qmail
    on any Linux fs, probably a lot others I haven't even looked at)
    traditionally *require* chattr +S or mount -o sync to work reliably,
    after the merge, they could instead go with mount -o dirsync or chattr
    +D, which improves write speed quite a bit.

    Not applying the dirsync patch means that a stupid BSD ffs in default
    configuration will beat Linux (that needs -o sync) hands-down without
    any tuning the admin could do. One might also consider making -o dirsync
    the default while one's there, to give users a default-reliable setting,
    but this is going to rouse the performance fetishists who don't care
    about data persistence and who don't care to collect their new files
    from lost+found on ext2fs but rather cheat benchmarks.

    I can elaborate a bit more, but this has been discussed multiple times
    and after all, the code is there.

    > Summary of changes from v2.4.20 to v2.4.21-pre1

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:4.728 seconds]