    SubjectRe: atyfb in 2.5.51
    From
       From: James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org>
    Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:16:04 -0800 (PST)

    I agree that the design of the /dev/fbX interface is not the best.
    Unfortunely we are stuck with it. Changing it would break userland apps.

    I totally understand. I do not suggest to break fbdev in it's current
    form, too much stuff uses it.

    My main point was, don't be surprised the X servers, like the ATI
    driver, don't use fbdev and instead just mmap the device and simply
    program it directly.

    fbdev is nice, in the specific cases where the device fits the fbdev
    model, because once you have the kernel bits you have X support :)

    Franks a lot,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.028 / U:0.004 seconds]