From said:
> Or rather try it on a different box.

This has been seen on a number of different boxes running a variety of kernels.

The ones that have happened to other people that I have heard of have all
involved UML. I've also make my laptop hang with BK, diff, and emacs.

Here are some threads talking about this problem:

There's a variety of kernels and hardware involved here. My laptop is
bog-standard IDE afaik. Zaphod, the subject of the second URL, is IDE behind
a 3ware raid controller. Not sure about the others.