    SubjectRe: [lkcd-devel] Re: What's left over.
    Werner Almesberger <> writes:

    > Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > > What I was thinking is that the process would for and exec
    > > something like "/etc/rc 6" or maybe "/etc/rc 7" to be clean.
    > > And that script would do all of the user space shutdown.
    > Yes, but init also does a kill(-1,...) to get rid of all processes,
    > before the last steps of system shutdown. So you have to somehow
    > make your "page holding" process survive beyond this point.

    True. But it is just as easy to drop the file into something like
    ramfs. Or a file on the read only file on the root filesystem. Now
    that we can having shutdown do a pivot_root and totally unmounting
    the root filesystem is probably a good idea.

    > > My feel is that kexec-on-panic is a rather different problem.
    > You make it a different problem by assuming that you'd have a
    > kernel that is specifically built for running at a "safe"
    > location.

    Well at least the part cleans up after the running kernel. That is
    what I think it takes to make it stable. Perhaps I am wrong, but
    I think getting other architecture stable is very hard.

    > If you assume that you're just using your normal
    > kernel, the two problems converge again. There are still a
    > few things that are different, like the checksumming, but
    > they can safely be added at a later time.

    I guess I can be proven wrong.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:50.152 seconds]