    SubjectRe: [lkcd-devel] Re: What's left over.
    Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > What I was thinking is that the process would for and exec
    > something like "/etc/rc 6" or maybe "/etc/rc 7" to be clean.
    > And that script would do all of the user space shutdown.

    Yes, but init also does a kill(-1,...) to get rid of all processes,
    before the last steps of system shutdown. So you have to somehow
    make your "page holding" process survive beyond this point.

    > My feel is that kexec-on-panic is a rather different problem.

    You make it a different problem by assuming that you'd have a
    kernel that is specifically built for running at a "safe"
    location. If you assume that you're just using your normal
    kernel, the two problems converge again. There are still a
    few things that are different, like the checksumming, but
    they can safely be added at a later time.

    - Werner

    / Werner Almesberger, Buenos Aires, Argentina /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.019 / U:1.608 seconds]