    SubjectRe: Voyager subarchitecture for 2.5.46
    On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 15:45, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > It's clearly stupid in the long run to depend on the TSC synchronization.
    > We should consider different CPU's to be different clock-domains, and just
    > synchronize them using the primitives we already have (hey, people can use
    > ntp to synchronize over networks quite well, and that's without the kind
    > of synchronization primitives that we have within the same box).

    NTP synchronization assumes the clock runs at approximately the same
    speed and that you can 'bend' ticklength to avoid backward steps. Thats
    a really cool idea for the x440 but I wonder how practical it is when we
    have CPU's that keep changing speeds and not always notifying us about
    it either.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.019 / U:22.560 seconds]