Subjectplease include LTT in the Linux kernel
Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> Apparently Linus doesn't see what this patch buys Linux. Since
> I can't personally convince him otherwise, having written LTT
> myself, here it is in the hope that others on the list actually
> find it of some use.

I am quite interested in having LTT as a configurable option in the
Linux kernel. My company (the National Center for Atmospheric Research)
uses networks of Linux computers to process data from weather radars.
Occasionally, we've had unexplained performance problems where the
system is slow to respond, even though the process load is low on each
computer and no process is "hogging" the CPU. LTT would be extremely
valuable to help us diagnose such problems, since we could see the
interaction of our processing and radar display tasks with the kernel
and the NFS daemons.

Also, we build Linux based data acquisition systems containing signal
processing cards. LTT would really help us tune the performance of
these systems, since we could see how quickly our processes are
scheduled in response to interrupts from the signal processing cards.

Please, include LTT in the Linux kernel. Karim and others have
demonstrated that LTT has no impact on kernel performance if it is not
configured, and minimal impact even when tracing is enabled. I've used
a commercial product (Stethoscope - sold by Real Time Innovations) when
doing real-time programming on VxWorks, and found it quite valuable. If
LTT is included in the Linux kernel, Linux will be much more appealing
to the real-time and embedded programming community.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.045 / U:0.184 seconds]