SubjectRFC: A POSIX Linux project?
I wonder if any vendors, or independent groups, would be interested in
maintaining a POSIX compliancy patchkit for the Linux kernel?

IMO such a "POSIX Linux" project would be useful for several reasons.
Overall, I think there is pressure from several directions to get all
sorts of POSIX APIs into the kernel. On occasion, kernel hackers are
confronted with a situation where complete POSIX compliancy may mean a
compromise in some area, be it performance, security, API issues, code
cleanliness issues, etc. Or simply that the POSIX-related code just
isn't ready to be merged into the mainline kernel yet.

The vendors also benefit by this, because the barrier to entry in
POSIX-related cases would be lowered, which would in turn satisfy the
demands of customers. Which would in turn give the mainline kernel all
the software engineering benefits that come from a more reasoned and
gradual review and merge of new features.

Does something like this already exist? This would need to be an open,
vendor-neutral project...

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.090 / U:0.228 seconds]