    SubjectRe: Filesystem Capabilities in 2.6?
    Linus Torvalds <> writes:

    > On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Olaf Dietsche wrote:
    >> Linus Torvalds <> writes:
    >> > - Make a new file type, and put just that information in the directory
    >> > (so that it shows up in d_type on a readdir()). Put the real data in
    >> > the file, ie make it largely look like an "extended symlink".
    >> How would you go from a regular file to the new extended symlink?
    > So I'd suggest _not_ attaching that capability to the sendmail binary
    > itself, or to any inode number of that binary. A binary is a binary is a
    > binary - it's just the data. Instead, I'd attach the information to the
    > directory entry, either directly (ie the directory entry really has an
    > extra field that lists the capabilities) or indirectly (ie the directory
    > entry is really just an "extended symlink" that contains not just the path
    > to the binary, but also the capabilities associated with it).

    Now I understand. It's a combined symlink/capabilities pair. I thought
    to have this extra direntry, containing capabilities only. But I
    didn't get the connection between the binary and the cap direntry. You
    go just the other way round from cap/symlink to the binary.

    > The reason I like directory entries as opposed to inodes is that if you
    > work this way, you can actually give different people _different_
    > capabilities for the same program. You don't need to have two different
    > installs, you can have one install and two different links to it.

    I thought that's what the inheritable vs. permitted set is for.

    Regards, Olaf.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:17.980 seconds]