    SubjectRe: switching to interrupt contex when no interrupts
    arun4linux wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > <<One is forced to run in interrupt context in an
    > interrupt handler.
    > >>Yes. But my requirement is to force my code to run in interrupt context.
    >
    > <<Possibility is undefined here because what you said makes no sense.
    >
    > You will get a better answer from the list if you describe what you are trying to do (in concrete terms), not how you think you might do it.
    >
    > >>My requirement is to simulate a PCI based controller and its behaviour in software. I knew the different type of interrupts and the timings my device produces.
    >
    > I need to simulate this PCI device, its interrupts in sequence and I have to process them in my driver software.
    >
    > Hope this make sense now.
    >
    > Anyway, my requrirement is to simulate the interrupts and process them in the interrupt context.
    >
    > It would be helpful, if anyone could help me how to do it.
    > My idea is to use task queues and bottom halves for this. But I'd like to get clarified on simulating interrupts (rasing the process/task context to interrupt context) and its consequences.

    Why simulate the interrupts when you can just program them?
    On the x86 machine the "int x" instruction generates an
    interrupt to irq "x"+32. You do need to be in kernel land
    to do this, but then I assume that is not a problem.

    -g

    > Thanks & Warm Regards
    > Arun
    >
    > "John K Luebs" wrote:
    >
    > On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 07:37:33AM +0530, arun4linux wrote:
    > &gt; Hello,
    > &gt;
    > &gt; I'd like to force my kernel module to run at interrupt context at some specific points/time and then come back from interrrupt contex after executing that particular portion of code..
    >
    > You seem to be over complexifying what interrupt context is. It is
    > simply a generic term for a context that executes on account of an
    > architecture interrupt. One is forced to run in interrupt context in an
    > interrupt handler.
    >
    > You "run" in interrupt context by calling request_irq attached to the
    > interrupt line that you are interested in installing a handler for.
    >
    > &gt;
    > &gt; Is it possible?
    >
    > Possibility is undefined here because what you said makes no sense.
    >
    > You will get a better answer from the list if you describe what you are
    > trying to do (in concrete terms), not how you think you might do it.

    > Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in
    >
    > -

    George Anzinger george@mvista.com
    High-res-timers: