Subjectultracam distorted image
Using Kernel 2.4.19, IBM UltraPort Camera (I), ultracam, usbvideo,
videodev compiled in and as modules (neither works). . .
I looked at the MAINTAINERS file, and this device is not even listed so
I have no options left but to bug you (sorry).
when using the gqcam app, I get a distorted image (a sample can be found
on http://home.attbi.com/~gnuman/webcam.html ) and the error
ioctl (VIDIOCSWIN): Invalid argument
which seems to point to autoscaling brightness. . .
the image looks like it is not synching properly and the brightness does
not matter that much to me.

When I use the CVS usbvideo package (the module is named ultradrv
instead of ultracam), I get a smaller black screen and "error reading
image. . ."

when using the 2.5.45 kernel, I get a white one, with the same results.

Having done a Google search on UltraPort Camera and Linux, as well as
one on the error, I found Karl Gutwins page (where I got the CVS
package), and quite a bit of discussion that stopped a over a year ago,
about things not working. I found no one that could give me any more
advice on how to get this working for me. I get the same results when
I'm using the camera from the ultraport or USB.

hasciicam works, but that is useless to me as I need to use this with a
webcam and several other v4l applications. I have run out of places to
look for information and clues, and I cannot find the author for the
kernel driver (not listed in the code, or the maintainers file). It
seems to me that *someone* must have gotten this running, but they seem
to want to keep that info to themselves?

Please reply to me personally as well as the list, to ensure that I see
any response.
Thank you for all your efforts in making Linux so great!

PS: is there any work being done on a DRM for the S3 Savage IX chipset?
That is the only other thing not working right on my laptop.
--
Sanjay
gnuman@attbi.com