    SubjectRe: Filesystem Capabilities in 2.6?

    On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > The reason I like directory entries as opposed to inodes is that if you
    > work this way, you can actually give different people _different_
    > capabilities for the same program. You don't need to have two different
    > installs, you can have one install and two different links to it.

    <shrug> that can be done without doing anything to filesystem.
    Namely, turn current "nosuid" of vfsmount into a mask of capabilities.
    Then use bindings instead of links. *Note* - binary _is_ marked suid,
    mask tells which capabilities _not_ to gain. It's OK - attempt to
    link(2) to the thing using binding will see that oldname and newname
    are within different vfsmounts, so instead of link to suid-root binary
    you get -EXDEV.

    And that works on any fs, can be made per-user and can be _seen_
    by admin - bindings are visible in /proc/mounts (yes, I remember that
    we need to fix the crap with pathnames).

    I can do that thing in a weekend - it's trivial to implement.
    No need to bugger filesystems for that.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.042 / U:13.860 seconds]