    SubjectRe: Filesystem Capabilities in 2.6?
    On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 00:22, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > >
    > > Sure it's more flexible, but I wonder how many userland
    > > programs will be broken if we change the permission model
    > > and how well users can protect their data this way.
    > This is not a "change". Existing behaviour clearly cannot change. We're
    > talking about new interfaces to export capabilities in the filesystem.

    So you are talking about a new interface that sucks. Slight difference
    in situation no difference in result. At the point where link/rename and
    even NFS happenings on remote boxes may get involved I don't want to go
    anywhere near it. One thing Unix actually got right from the beginning
    is that rights belong to objects not to names. Name based labelling has
    never worked in or out of computing.

    What you are suggesting is the equivalent of marking documents 'secret'
    by putting them in a specific drawer and hoping nobody ever misfiles it.
    Everyone instead writes "secret" on the document - guess why

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.020 / U:2.100 seconds]