SubjectRe: Filesystem Capabilities in 2.6?

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Sure it's more flexible, but I wonder how many userland
> programs will be broken if we change the permission model
> and how well users can protect their data this way.

This is not a "change". Existing behaviour clearly cannot change. We're
talking about new interfaces to export capabilities in the filesystem.

And pathnames are a _hell_ of a lot better and straightforward interface
than inode numbers are. It's confusing when you change the permission on
one path to notice that another path magically changed too.