SubjectRe: [BUG?] Xeon with HyperThreading and linux-2.4.20-rc2
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Steffen Persvold wrote:

> I've two boxes with Dual Xeons 1.8 GHz and HT option enabled in BIOS. When
> I boot 2.4.20-rc2 with default arguments the kernel detects 4 processors and
> also reports 4 processors in /proc/cpuinfo wiht the "ht" feature.
>
> However, if I boot with the "noht" option (wich I believed turned off HT
> and therefore only two processors should be available), the kernel still
> detects 4 processors, _but_ now the "ht" feature in /proc/cpuinfo is not
> there. Is this the intention of the "noht" option ?

No, the intention of the "noht" option is as you believed, and it used to
work that way. I looked at latest sourcec, didn't see anything obviously
wrong. Sorry, but I don't have a suitable HT machine to check at present.

> If so, are there any
> options available to turn off HT support in the kernel completely, so that
> I don't have to go into the BIOS to turn it off ?
>
> If you want to I can provide the dmesg output and .config.
>
> I think this issue is not just related to 2.4.20-rc2, but earlier kernels
> aswell.

Could others check and report if 2.4.20-rc2 "noht" works for them or not?

Thanks,
Hugh

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.110 / U:0.504 seconds]