    SubjectRe: spinlocks, the GPL, and binary-only modules
    On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > So, since spinlocks and semaphores are (a) inline and #included into
    > your code, and (b) required for just about sane interoperation with Linux...
    > does this mean that all binary-only modules that #include kernel code
    > such as spinlocks are violating the GPL?

    > But who knows if #include'd code constitutes a derived work :(

    Only if the #included snippets of code are large enough to be
    protected by copyright, which might be true of the stuff in
    mm_inline.h and of some of the semaphore code, but probably
    isn't true of the spinlock code.

    Even if the code #included is large enough to be protected by
    copyright I don't know if the code including it would be considered
    a derived work. Many questions remaining...

    Current spamtrap: <a href=mailto:""></a>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.020 / U:20.496 seconds]