    Subjectuseless image of hdd: how to make it useful?
    Hello All!

    [ please CC me - I'm not subscribed to the list. ]

    This question was in my mind for couple of years.
    But after all I decided to ask it. (Better later - than never ;-))

    Little prehistory: I had on my old home PC two hard drives - hda &
    hda was big and new, while hdc was old, small and sure it
    a lot of old useful stuff. So I decided to upgrade my very
    valuable hdc.
    And sure, as simple novice in hdd upgrades, I've made smth
    # dd if=/dev/hdc of=/root/hdc_img
    And right after upgrade - I got small rebate in exchange for
    my old hdd -
    I understood my problem.

    I do not know the way to mount partition table!
    it's possible with loop device to mount partition - but how to mount
    hdd (with its own partition table) to have access to single
    partition inside???

    Digging into the kernel (it was 2.2 times) brought no answer:
    major+minor was
    used to identify the partition and I saw no way I can give this
    a file - not real hard drive.

    So that's the question:

    Is it possible to mount a 'hard drive' - just like any other fs -
    and see
    inside of this fs partitions as regular files?

    PS As for my hdc - very quickly I came back to the shop and reversed my
    /upgrade/... ;-)))

    --- Regards&Wishes! With respect Ihar "Philips" Filipau AKA Igor Philippov,
    and Phil for friends