SubjectRe: 2.5.47 scheduler problems?
Tim Connors wrote:

> > I used to be able to wave a window poorly at make -j25 (swapping heftily),
> > fairly smoothly at make -j20, and smoothly at make -j15 or below. This
> > with no SCHED_RR/SCHED_FIFO. (I haven't done much testing like this in
> > quite a while though)
>
> Perhaps you should consider buying an extra 29 CPU's for you desktop?

No. He's saying that it used to be OK, but it has got worse.

A much simpler test is to start a big compilation and then madly
waggle an X window around. Goes OK for a few seconds, and then
seizes up quite horridly. Presumably because the scheduler has
suddenly decided that the X server has become a "batch" process
and is scheduling it in a similar manner to the compilation.

If you stop wiggling the window for 5-10 seconds it comes back.
Presumably because the scheduler has decided that the X server is
"interactive" again.

When it happens, it's *very* bad. The mouse cursor doesn't move
for 0.5-1.0 seconds and then takes great leaps. It is unusable.

Strangely it does not happen (much) when the background load is
a few busywaits. It has to be a compilation - maybe short-lived
batch processes is what triggers it.

For me, the X server is sometimes the victim, and the MUA (netscape4)
is frequently victimised. This is because the MUA alternates between
periods of interactivity and periods of compute-intensive work (parsing
large mailboxes). When this problem strikes you have to just sit there
with your arms folded waiting for it to stop.

It needs fixing.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.309 / U:0.412 seconds]