    SubjectRe: [patch] threading fix, tid-2.5.47-A3

    On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

    > It doesn't do this. Ingo's description simply wasn't right.
    >
    > The syscall is used in one place and this is when the thread library
    > gets initialized. I never gets used unconditionally and in situations
    > where the process is not prepared.

    Ok, good. That means that "sys_set_userpid()" is fine with me.

    That still leaves the other part of the patch. I do not think that SETTID
    and CLEARTID should be mixed together. There are perfectly valid reasons
    why a parent wants SETTID even when it _doesn't_ want CLEARTID.

    In fact, SETTID is clearly useful even without threads, and exactly for
    the case that Ingo apparently broke with his patch: the parent wants to
    atomically save the TID of the child in the _parents_ address space (so
    that a immediate SIGCHLD won't be racy with saving off the pid by the
    parent).

    So Ingo, please send me just the sys_set_userpid() parts, and revert your
    broken code that made SETTID do bad things and only work for threads.

    There's no reason to make SETTID/CLEARTID be one flag, since they are
    clearly different things, and NPTL can just always set both bits if that
    is the behaviour glibc wants (and I agree with that behaviour, of course.
    I just disagree with not allowing others to do different things).

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:0.364 seconds]