    SubjectRe: Why can't Johnny compile?
    Patrick Finnegan wrote:

    > Wouldn't it then seem reasonable to remove things from the kernel that
    > have been broken for a long time, and no one seems to care enough to fix?
    > I know of at least one driver (IOmega Buz v4l) that seems to have fallen
    > into disrepair possibly since before 2.4.0, and as far as I know has not
    > been repaired since then.

    That's really a matter of taste... a lot of Linux hackers seem to enjoy
    retrocomputing and keeping old things around just in case. Just in case
    somebody sees you post, for example, and gets motivated to fix IOmega
    Buz :) Some things do get removed though, every now and then.

    We have CONFIG_OBSOLETE as a pseudo-config option around which we may
    deprecate drivers. If a major version or two passes with no one
    complaining, we can remove the driver then...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.037 / U:38.604 seconds]