    SubjectRe: Why can't Johnny compile?
    On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Most of the stuff that doesn't compile (or link) is typically stuff that
    > is lesser used, or never used. A lot of the don't-compile complaints
    > seem to be vocal-minority type complaints or "why can't I build _every_
    > module in the kernel?" complaints. Ref allmodconfig, above.
    > If people want to get rivafb or an ancient ISA net driver building
    > again... patches welcome. But I don't think calls for the kernel to
    > compile 100 percent of the drivers is realistic or even reasonable.
    > Some of the APIs, particularly SCSI, are undergoing API stabilization.
    > And SCSI is an excellent example of drivers where
    > I-dont-have-test-hardware patches to fix compilation may miss subtle
    > problems -- and then six months later when the compileable-but-broken
    > SCSI driver is used by a real user, we have to spend more time in the
    > long run tracking down the problem.

    Wouldn't it then seem reasonable to remove things from the kernel that
    have been broken for a long time, and no one seems to care enough to fix?
    I know of at least one driver (IOmega Buz v4l) that seems to have fallen
    into disrepair possibly since before 2.4.0, and as far as I know has not
    been repaired since then.

    Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
    Information Technology at Purdue
    Research Computing and Storage

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.038 / U:8.672 seconds]