    SubjectRE: Dual athlon XP 1800 problems
    Date
    Don't know about the kernel issues your experiencing but I have that
    board and the BIOS does seem a bit flaky - I can confirm however that
    the temperature monitoring as you noticed doesn't give sane readings
    until you hit update for the first time.

    I have Dual Athlon MP 1.2Ghz, 768MB crucial ECC RAM and kernel 2.4.19
    optimized for athlonmp using gentoo patches and its solid as a rock.
    The only problems I've had were full lock-ups when compiling but I
    traced that to a faulty dimm module.

    Cheers
    ali

    Athlon
    > target
    > Single IDE drives, no RAID or stuff like that
    > Tekram DC390 (8 bit SCSI)
    > 3Com Cyclone 3C905
    > D-Link DE-590TX (??) - uses ne2k-pci driver, has worked since early
    > 2.0.x and probably before
    > ATI Rage 3D Pro (AGP 2x)
    >
    > Big Antec case with a ton of fans :-)
    >
    > 1. When I first put it together, it would consistenly run OK for a
    > period of 4-5 minutes, quite precisely - no less than 4, no more than
    5
    > and then just lock up HARD - no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no kernel panics,
    nothing.
    > Once or twice it seemed like it stuttered - as if the load was like
    > 10.00 or higher, the keystroke echo would take 2-3 seconds.
    >
    > 2. First try - I pulled the Tekram (it's ancient and has bootable
    BIOS)
    > - no difference
    >
    > 3. Tried some BIOS settings (e.g. SMP 1.1 mode) - it DOES NOT like
    this;
    > any BIOS changes AT ALL (even seemingly harmless ones like Num Lock)
    > appear to mess it up totally, and LILO hangs at "LI" when trying to
    > start. Restored factory defaults.
    >
    > 4. Then I noticed that the CPU1 heatsink was quite warm (maybe 70C
    > feeling around the thick bit of the aluminium) whereas CPU0 heatsink
    is
    > just above room temp.
    >
    > 5. Checking the Winbond monitoring in the BIOS** menu, it comes up
    > showing both CPU's at 77C, then as you hit keys it takes proper
    > readings, and claims both CPUs within 1-2 degrees of each other (??).
    It
    > seems accurate on fan speeds though. Both fans running pretty fast,
    > 5500-6200 RPM.
    >
    > 6. Pulled CPU1, messed around some - same behaviour, lock ups after
    4-5
    > mins
    >
    > 7. Brought it up to single user mode console, to see if it was video
    > card etc. - did some testing of just letting it mostly idle (while
    true
    > - uptime - sleep 1 - etc.) and locked up 1-2 more times.
    >
    > 8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
    > CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
    > writing this email :-) Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
    > seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.
    >
    > Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking to leave it running and see if
    it
    > stays up. Smells of a hardware issue, but also the BIOS seems a bit
    > funny (there is a message in the Help which says "this setting for
    debug
    > only - remove for production" !!)
    >
    > Other observation, possibly unrelated: the unpacking of the kernel
    seems
    > very slow for an otherwise pretty quick machine - the dots when it
    says
    > PC-66 memory, compared with 4-5 per second for the Pentium III
    > 800/PC-133 motherboard I just hauled out.
    >

    > ** The temperature sensor driver stuff didn't seem to come with the
    > kernel ??

    > -
    linux-kernel" in

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.032 / U:0.824 seconds]