SubjectRe: Reserving "special" port numbers in the kernel ?
xavier.bestel@free.fr (Xavier Bestel) writes:

> Le sam 16/11/2002 à 01:00, Arun Sharma a écrit :
> > One of the Intel server platforms has a magic port number (623) that
> > it uses for remote server management. However, neither the kernel nor
> > glibc are aware of this special port.
> >
> > As a result, when someone requests a privileged port using
> > bindresvport(3), they may get this port back and bad things happen.
> >
> > Has anyone run into this or similar problems before ? Thoughts on
> > what's the right place to handle this issue ?
>
> run a dummy app at startup which reserves that port ?

Yes, I'm already aware of this one, but was looking for a lighter weight
solution (ideally a config file change) that doesn't involve running an
extra process (think of doing this on a large number of machines).

-Arun

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.096 / U:0.108 seconds]