SubjectRe: module mess in -CURRENT

On 14 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
> That makes driver debugging almost impossible. It also makes building a
> test kernel set for a lot of boxes impractical. The completely broken
> unload stuff is going to be a real pig, PCMCIA only works modular and
> doesn't work now the unloads are all broken.

Yeah, I forgot about the old 16-bit pcmcia crud. Ugh. At least 32-bit
cardbus works fine.

> The biggest need though is documentation so people can actually fix all
> the drivers for this stuff.

I think Al convinced Rusty that most drivers don't need to worry and that
Rusty was a bit over-eager (ie sound, much of char, all of block and fs
should all be handled by upper layers without the races)

I think Rusty has most of the pieces, but he's apparently flying around
the world right now ;)