    SubjectRe: module mess in -CURRENT

    On 14 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > That makes driver debugging almost impossible. It also makes building a
    > test kernel set for a lot of boxes impractical. The completely broken
    > unload stuff is going to be a real pig, PCMCIA only works modular and
    > doesn't work now the unloads are all broken.

    Yeah, I forgot about the old 16-bit pcmcia crud. Ugh. At least 32-bit
    cardbus works fine.

    > The biggest need though is documentation so people can actually fix all
    > the drivers for this stuff.

    I think Al convinced Rusty that most drivers don't need to worry and that
    Rusty was a bit over-eager (ie sound, much of char, all of block and fs
    should all be handled by upper layers without the races)

    I think Rusty has most of the pieces, but he's apparently flying around
    the world right now ;)

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.025 / U:59.420 seconds]