    SubjectRe: md on shared storage
    On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:46:41PM +0100, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
    > In short, you can do "MD", if you don't use it as "shared"; have only one node
    > have a given md device active at any point in time. Thus, no autostart, but
    > manual activation. This rules out "GFS over md", basically.

    RAID0 can work fine. You cannot have a persistent superblock
    and autostart, because then the two nodes stomp on each other. To allow
    anything other than this, you'd need cluster services and node locking.
    How to do RAID0? Have each node mkraid the RAID0 (or mdadm
    equiv) at boot. Because there is no persistent superblock, there is no
    contention to the disk. OpenGFS or OCFS can now share the nice striped
    volume, because they handle the locking for their data.
    We have, in fact, run OCFS on shared RAID0 in this fashion.

    Joel

    --

    "Maybe the time has drawn the faces I recall.
    But things in this life change very slowly,

    Joel Becker
    Senior Member of Technical Staff
    Oracle Corporation
    E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
    Phone: (650) 506-8127

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:5.302 / U:0.012 seconds]