    SubjectRe: [RFC] devfs API
    On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 08:49:22PM -0500, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > The only way I'll use devfs is
    > * on a separate testbox devoid of network interfaces
    > * with no users
    > * with no data - disk periodically populated from image on CD.
    >
    > And that's regardless of that cleanup - fixing the interface doesn't solve
    > the internal races, so...

    Hi Al,

    It's good that you're trying to clean up the devfs code, but...

    How many people are actually using devfs these days? I don't like it
    myself, and I've had to add a fair amount of hair to fsck's
    mount-by-label/uuid code to deal with interesting cases such as
    kernels where devfs is configured, but not actually mounted (it
    changes what /proc/partitions exports). So I'm one of those who have
    never looked all that kindly on devfs, which shouldn't come as a
    surprise to most folks.

    In any case, if there aren't all that many people using devfs, I can
    think of a really easy way in which we could simplify and clean up its
    API by slimming it down by 100%......

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.019 / U:11.912 seconds]