    SubjectRe: Voyager subarchitecture for 2.5.46

    On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Unfortunately, this means "bye bye vsyscalls for gettimeofday".

    Not necessarily. All of the fastpatch and the checking can be done by the
    vsyscall, and if the vsyscall notices that there is a backwards jump in
    time it just gives up and does a real system call. The vsyscall does need
    to figure out the CPU it's running on somehow, but that should be solvable
    - indexing through the thread ID or something.

    That said, I suspect that the real issue with vsyscalls is that they don't
    really make much sense. The only system call we've ever found that matters
    at all is gettimeofday(), and the vsyscall implementation there looks like
    a "cool idea, but doesn't really matter (and complicates things a lot)".

    The system call overhead tends to scale up very well with CPU speed (the
    one esception being the P4 which just has some internal problems with "int
    0x80" and slowed down compared to a PIII).

    So I would just suggest not spending a lot of effort on it, considering
    the problems it already has.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:60.052 seconds]